Related Topics:

Expanded Instructions
  • Instruction Year: 2023

Each year many Iowans do not get W-2s from their employers by the January 31 date required by the IRS.

If you have moved:

Contact your employer with your new address.

If you simply have not received it:

Contact your employer and try to find out why you have not received the W-2.

If you still do not receive it:

You may also call the IRS at 800-829-1040. They will work with you and explain the steps needed to receive a substitute W-2.

Iowa will accept a copy of the substitute W-2 filed with the IRS. However, the substitute W-2 may not show Iowa withholding. No credit for Iowa withholding can be given in this case unless you have pay stubs that show Iowa withholding.

If you need a W-2 from a previous year, here are some other possible options:

  • Social Security Administration (SSA) - may provide copies of Forms W-2 for retirement purposes at no charge and for other than retirement purposes for a fee. Call 1-800-772-1213, or visit the SSA web site at for instructions on how to obtain wage information from the SSA.
  • Internal Revenue Service (IRS) - may provide an exact copy of a previously filed and processed tax return with attachments (including the form W-2). You should complete Form 4506, Request for Copy of Tax Return, and mail it to the address listed in the instructions. A fee will be charged for each tax year requested.

Note: The Iowa Department of Revenue is not able to provide you with a copy of your W-2 information.