Back to top

Federal Resources

Federal - Internal Revenue Service (IRS)

Back to top

State Resources

Iowa Department of Revenue (IDR)

  • Tax permits for sales, use, motor fuel, hotel/motel, automobile rental, withholding
  • Iowa tax information, publications, and forms
  • Register to withhold Iowa income tax or make estimated tax payments
  • Find Out About These Tax Benefits for Small Businesses:

    • Income tax deduction for hiring ex-offenders
    • Income tax deduction for hiring persons with disabilities
    • New jobs tax credit
    • Assistive device tax credit
    • Property rehabilitation tax credit
    • Investment tax credit
    • Franchise tax credit
    • Research activities tax credit
    • Seed capital tax credit
    • Capital gain deduction for certain businesses
    • Motor fuel tax credit
    • Tax exemption for purchase of machinery and equipment used in agricultural production
    • Any of more than 150 separate exemptions from sales tax provided by the Iowa Code

    Contact the Iowa Department of Revenue

Iowa Workforce Development (IWD)

Employment services, education and regulation of health, safety and employment laws

Employers’ Council of Iowa

The Employers’ Council of Iowa is a support network for small and medium sized businesses. Working in conjunction with Iowa Workforce Development, the council offers guidance, support, training, and other resources.


The IASourceLink website facilitates the linking of 300+ nonprofit resource organizations to one another and to established, emerging, and start-up Iowa businesses. IASourceLink is where business begins in Iowa.

Iowa Secretary of State

Information for corporations, nonprofit corporations, limited partnerships, limited liability companies, and state trademarks

  • Contacting Secretary of State

    • Email
    • Mail: Iowa Secretary of State, Lucas Building, 1st Floor, 321 E. 12th St., Des Moines, IA 50319
    • Call: 515-281-5204

Iowa Department of Transportation (DOT)

Iowa Department of Agriculture

  • Regulatory information for food-related and animal-related businesses
  • Information concerning weights and measures
  • Information for commercial grain storage and grain sales businesses
  • Contacting Department of Agriculture

    • Mail: Iowa Dept. of Agriculture, Wallace State Office Building, 502 E. 9th St., Des Moines, IA 50319
    • Call: 515-281-5321

Iowa Department of Inspections and Appeals & Licensing (DIAL)

  • Inspect and license food establishments, including restaurants, and grocery and convenience stores
  • Inspect and license hotels and motels
  • License social and charitable gambling activities, including bingo and raffles
  • Certify targeted small businesses
  • Inspect and license/certify long-term care facilities, and medical providers and suppliers
  • Contacting DIAL:

    • Email
    • Mail: Iowa Department of Inspections and Appeals, Lucas State Office Building, 321 East 12th Street, Des Moines, Iowa 50319-0083
    • Call: 515-281-7102
    • Fax: 515-242-5022

Iowa Department of Commerce

Iowa Alcoholic Beverages Division

  • Licensing for retail and wholesale sales of alcoholic liquor, wine and beer

Iowa Professional Licensing Bureau

Licensing of accountants, architects, engineers and land surveyors, landscape architects, real estate brokers and agents, real estate appraisers, and interior designers

Iowa Insurance Division

Supervises all insurance business transacted in the state, grants permission to companies wishing to sell insurance in Iowa, resolves problems and provides information about insurance for small businesses,

Iowa Department of Health & Human Services (HHS)

Licenses athletic trainers, barbers and cosmetologists, chiropractors, podiatrists, optometrists, hearing aid dealers, speech pathologists and audiologists, morticians, massage and physical and occupational therapists, psychologists, respiratory care practitioners, social workers

  • Contacting HHS

    • Website
    • Mail: Lucas State Office Building, 321 E. 12th Street, Des Moines, IA 50319-0075
    • Call: 515-281-7689

Iowa Department of Natural Resources

Water and air quality regulatory information for manufacturers

  • Information concerning sales of Household Hazardous Materials
  • Contacting DNR

    • Contact List
    • Mail: Iowa Dept. of Natural Resources, Wallace State Office Building, 502 E. 9th Street, Des Moines, IA 50319
    • Call: 515-725-8200
Back to top

County Resources

County Governments

  • Local ordinances, licensing, and zoning regulations
  • Cigarette and liquor license applications
  • Property tax information
  • Building permits

Ask About These Tax Benefits for Small Businesses:

  • Urban revitalization tax exemption
  • Tax provision for purchase of computers
  • Special tax provisions for purchase of industrial machinery and equipment
  • Partial exemption of actual value added to industrial real estate, research-service facilities, warehouses, and distribution centers
  • Exemption for pollution control devices

County Treasurer

  • Property tax information
  • Vehicle registration

Contacting county governments and officials

Back to top

City Resources

  • Building permits
  • Programs available for business expansion or new business or development projects
  • Loans and grants
  • Training programs

Contacting city governments

Back to top

Other Federal Resources

Back to top

Personal Resources

  • Your Community Bank or Credit Union
  • Your Attorney’s Office
    Legal advice and representation
  • Your Accountant’s Office
    Bookkeeping advice or service
  • Your Insurance Agent
    Loss and liability protection
  • A University or College Business Center Program
    Business plans and general assistance
Back to top