The 1987 Iowa Groundwater Protection Act includes provisions that affect retailers of Household Hazardous Materials (HHM) in two ways.

  1. Retailers who sell HHMs are required to.
    1. Register online or complete an Iowa Business Tax Permit Registration (78-005) form from the Iowa Department of Revenue
    2. Request a HHM permit through the Business Tax Permit Registration 
  2. A consumer information program is available for retailers, allowing them to:
    1. Provide consumers with brochures, containing detailed information about HHMs and their proper disposal
    2. Display informational signs near products to explain labeling and direct consumers to brochures.