Related Topics:

Expanded Instructions
  • Line: 28
  • Step: 6
  • Step Subject: Refundable Credits and Payments
  • Instruction Year: 2023

Enter the total amount of income tax withheld for Iowa from your W-2s, W-2Gs, and 1099s. This will be the figure shown in the box labeled β€œState income tax.” Also enter the total amount of Iowa withholding identified on all K-1s.

Nonresident members - Report amount of composite tax credit from your Iowa Schedule K-1 on line 27, not on this line.

Copies of the W-2s, W-2Gs, 1099s, and K-1s showing Iowa tax withheld must be included with paper filed returns. Photocopies of originals are accepted. Your W-2s, W-2Gs, 1099s, and K-1s must be complete and legible with no alterations.

Employees: If you need a copy of your W-2, first ask your employer as the Iowa Department of Revenue is not able to furnish it to you. If you are unable to obtain a copy from your employer, here are some other possible options:

  • Social Security Administration (SSA) - may provide copies of Forms W-2 for retirement purposes at no charge and for other than retirement purposes for a fee. Call 1–800–772–1213, or visit the SSA web site at for instructions on how to obtain wage information from the SSA.
  • Internal Revenue Service (IRS) – may provide an exact copy of a previously filed and processed tax return with attachments (including Form W-2). You should complete Form 4506, Request for Copy of Tax Return, and mail it to the address listed in the instructions. A fee will be charged for each tax year requested.

Married Separate Filers:

Withholding is reported by the spouse receiving the W-2, W-2G, 1099, and K-1.